e diel, 7 tetor 2007

When being far from home is hard...

Joseph on the right. In the gray top.
Next to him Gus, on the left, Jon. Kinfolk of Jen and Jason.


Today Joseph is running in his very first marathon. As we speak, he is in the finishing leg of the 2007 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon.

He began running at 4pm, my time. Every hour I have guessed his distance and said a prayer. I don't know why I am so nervous, but I've been a wreck all day.

At 9pm my time, I called my friend Angela who is waiting at the finishing line. She told me he is almost at done. She also said the race was officially canceled at noon (8pm my time) due to the extreme heat (like Sudan in January, she says!) and water shortage. I googled it. Sure enough, it was.






Joseph is almost done and I am so proud of him!

And I should mention (so this entry has something to do with Africa...) this is the fifth year in a row that a Kenyan has won the race. 2 hours 11 minutes and 11 secs. It's true, Africans are fast :)





Can you see Joseph at the start line??


*Update: Joseph finished the marathon and did a great job! Yea, Joey! :)

Nuk ka komente: